Week_04: VFX_02 & Compositing

VFX

This week I did the third simulation, which is an explosion & RBD simulation.

I want the hands of creatures suddenly hit ceiling and smash the ceiling tile on the ground. Therefore I firstly fractured the ceiling tile and ceiling frame. After that I used hard constraint + soft constraint to mimic the deformation of tile. The hard constraint will broke based on how big the impact is, and then generate into soft constraint to keep the pieces together.

After the make of RBD simulation I then made debris particles and debris pieces, and finally simulate a simple pyro smoke to mimic dust. To make the smoke cache file smaller, I used VDB camera clip to remove VDB imformation outside of camera.

The most difficult part of this shot is the high-speed simulation, which requires more substeps of sim, which took many time to finish.

Compositing

After I finished VFX shots I started compositing some of rendered shots. I build up a compositing templete in Nuke so that I don’t need to redo the same thing again and again. I used z depth channel and motionvector channel to add depth of field and motionblur on shots. I also exported each light layer individually so that I can change each light information in Nuke.