Week_05: Compositing & Editing

Compositing

This week I continue to do the compositing stuff. With the set of compositing templete in Nuke, I can easily finish each shot in a short time. However, I need to finish about 40 to 50 shots’ compositing, which still take days to finish.

Since I used render layers in some shots, I need to merge them together in Nuke, which takes some time to finish. Also, I need to animate some of the lighting animations in Nuke, so I write some expressions to animate some attributes like gamma or gain. I also add vignette, glow and grains on each shot to create a sense of cinematic. The overall compositing process is quite easy to be finished.

Editing

I also start to edit the videos after I composited them in Nuke. This time I use Premiere Pro to edit these shots. At first I did a rough editing for the all shots. After that I realize that the rhythm has some problem, since the length of some shots is too short. Therefore, I firstly turn to Nuke to retime some shots and export them again, which solved some of the problem. However, part of shots is not suitable to be retimed, so I have to add more shots between them to make the editing looks more natural.

I also add some typing effects in After effect. It is quite easy to be finished by using expressions and some simple animations.

After the video editing is finished, I started to add sound effects into it. I write a list of sound effects that I need. For example, human breathe sound, light flickering sound, TV sound, etc. After that I turned to youtube and other websites to search for free sound effect. Fortunately, I successfully found a large number of high quality sound effects that I need, and they are all free. This process took me plenty of time, but the result is quite satisfying. When I added these sounds into the video, everything becomes better.

Next week I will still keep working on the editing and trying to add music into it.