Week_02: Experimental Animation 1 Summary

This week we learned the basic of experimental animations and watched several videos to strengthen the idea of this type of animation. One of these animations impressed me a lot which is An Optical Poem, made by Oskar Fischinger in 1938.

Oskar Fischinger, 1938 An Optical Poem

Frankly, I am not some one who can really appreciate experimental animations since I never done this before, but I am deeply impressed by Oskar Fischinger’s work after I saw it. It is hard to imagine how the artist made this masterpiece 80 years ago. The changing of these shapes perfectly fits the rhythm and the color design of the whole scene is powerful and impressive. One interesting is that recently this kind of animation form is widely used in some music games, which can be considered as an extension of this kind of experimental style. The idea of this animation is ahead of the times, and it still looks amazing after years.

I think the reason why it can be considered as an experimental animation is that it talks about the relationship among shapes, colors and sounds. It is a great try to mix these things together to bring the audience a great experience on watching or listening. This work can also be considered as a remaster of the music, which contains the ideas and attitude of Oskar towards this music. Although the form of this demonstration can be little abstract, we can still understand the mood inside of this work.