Week_04: Texturing

This week I focus on the textures of our scene and start to test rendering. Wanxuan did the setting of our models so I can texture these models based on her scene.

Since our main scenes are a livingroom and a kitchen, I firstly did a research on Pinterest to find some color reference for our scene. I then find some reference like these:

After compared with different kinds of references, I finally decided to color the kitchen with white, black and light warm green, which can keep a balance between realistic style and cartoon style. The livingroom is designed to be colored with blue, orange and warm brown, which increases the contrast of image.

I made textures in Substance Painter, which is a handy software for me. I mostly focus on texturing the corners of each object and adding some lines and drops to simulate some kind of hand drawing effects. I also added some fake light and shadows on textures to make it looks more three dimentional.

After making textures I turned to maya to add shaders to models and adjust their light and shadows. Here is the initial effect of two scenes:

The kitchen looks complicated enough but its wooden floor may need to be replaced by some other kind of floor like ceramic floor or something else. The livingroom has a lot of things, but it still looks empty, we are trying to change the settings and adding models to fix this.

One of the most struggling things in this process is the UVs. There are tones of UVs to be unfolded. What’s more, the models of the scene has a lot of problems like bad topology, overlapping points and faces, which added some difficulties to unfolding UVs. Anyway, the problem has been solved manually, which took me a lot of time.

The next step is polishing our textures and keep testing rendering. Also, I think the livingroom seems a little bit empty and we will add more models to fix this problem in next week.